Monday, October 5, 2015

Food Blog 3


Final Food Post

First off, I would like to say that I really enjoyed reading Growing a Farmer, by Kurt Timmermeister. His writing was very simple, easy to read, and interesting. I really liked how the book takes us on a journey with Kurt from the restaurant business to him growing a farm - we were able to go through his decision-making and learning process. Initially, I thought that this book would be boring because the title had the word Farmer in there and I thought it would be a story about a farmer living on the farm; however, the book was much more than that, it was eye-opening and it has taught me a few lessons.

As the book finally comes to an end, Kurt was able to accomplish his dream of living the “simple
life”. He has created a life for himself, by purchasing an old and beat up farm and turning it into something that was sustainable. As we see Kurt grow as a farmer, we see his appreciation for food grow as well. Kurt forms a strong connection with the food and no longer sees it as just food – he views it as much more. The food was something that he personally grew and produced; it was a long and difficult process. It is interesting to see how respect is formed for something after we understand the process behind it. Overall, by the end we see that Kurt is very happy with his accomplishments and he is able to create a sustainable life that he really enjoys.

To me, his life does not seem simple at all. Deciding to grow a farm was a risky choice and it required a lot of work – but in the end we see Kurt really enjoying the farm that he has built for himself. This has taught me to find something in life that I enjoy doing and go for it, regardless of how hard it is. Because life is an obstacle where I will fail in many things, and those failures are learning opportunities, but the end results will be priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment