Monday, September 14, 2015

Food Blog 1

Growing a Farmer: Post 1

I was assigned to read Growing a Farmer by Kurt Timmermeister; however, I was hoping to get Omnivore’s Dilemma because the title sounded more interesting.

But after reading the introduction Kurt captivates me when he states, “My wish for this book is to add a perspective on the food we eat: where our food comes from, what goes into producing it and how it was traditionally prepared”. This sentence was what pulled me in and now I will give the book a chance because I think it will be exciting to try to gain a new outlook on life by understanding more about the food we eat.

Chapter 1:  Before the Farm

This chapter talks about Kurt starting off in the restaurant business. Kurt starts off with a simple business process where he would make the goods, sell the goods for cash and then put the money into the bank. Kurt loves the simplicity of his business; however, things start to change as his business starts to grow. Kurt earns enough money to buy a new home. He believes that life in a small town would be easier – “serene, orderly and tranquil”. By the end of the chapter, Kurt purchases an old run down farm that is far from the city and goes against his belief of having a car (believes a car is wasteful and expensive) and buys a used one.


I find Kurt to be a very interesting character because of the way he views life. I believe that most people, like me would find living in a city and owning a restaurant as ideal; however Kurt believes that the simple life is the best life and for that reason he purchased a farm that is far from the city. I look forward to learning more about Kurt and his journey.

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the rest of Kurt's journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize until I read your post about how similar the two books are in the sense that they are both exploring food, where it comes from, how it is produced, what is traditional and how it has changed today. I can't wait to read more about Kurt's adventures

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kurt, I like to live the simple life. I like how you incorporated your quotes into your writing. They were all spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its interesting to see how Kurt views his transition from the city life to a simpler one. He seems to find more fulfillment in his new lifestyle than the hustle and bustle of owning and operating his restaurant.

    ReplyDelete